Sunday, July 22, 2018

Post World Cup

Jazz/Blues at the Brasserie in Monflanquin 
Love these talented musicians!  They play so many instruments. Most impressive is the harmonica.

Life has gotten back to normal here in Monflanquin after the World Cup.  The Tour de France is still going on, but it does not have the same fervor as "le foot".  Our heat spell continues. I try to make it to the pool daily to get in some practice. Still working on the breast stroke. My comfort in the water is amazing compared to last summer when I was terrified.  The best time to go to the pool is mornings when there are less children flinging themselves into the water. The kids make me jealous and get in the way of my swimming exercises.

I have been gone so long I feel like I am away at summer camp. I forget the names of places at home and occasionally feel more French than American. My French friend Francoise invited me for lunch at her country home about 15 miles from Monflanquin.  My car and I are still not at ease. It is an SUV that is too big for me. Well, I have learned my lesson. I will only accept a petite car in the future. Some people might prefer a big car, but it is a pain in parking lots and on all those narrow country roads. 
I loved Francoise's house and vegetable gardens. She grows most of her food, cans  for  the winter, and even makes homemade ice cream. I tried to picture myself living in such a remote location, and honestly, I couldn't. I need people, and the liveliness of a town. It delights me when the mailman greets me and invites me to sit with his family to watch soccer or I run into my plumber at the bar. Market Day, Thursday is the most fun animated day of the week. Besides the pleasure of buying French produce, I see most of my friends in one place, and join friends  for coffee to end the morning.

A new microbrewery opened here and a coffee/organic grocery store that serves lattes. Both are nothing like our American concept of these places, but bravo anyway.

That's about it for this week. Time to watch a Turkish movie on Netflix. I think I see Istanbul in my future.

Much love and good health to all,
Giselle

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a lovely life you have there Giselle - I love reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete