Tuesday, August 28, 2018

France Summer 2018: It's a wrap or a crepe!

It's August 16 in Paris, the night before my flight home to Portland. I have been gone 75 days. Who sent me to the best sleep away summer camp ever? My friend Angela calls Monflanquin an adult playground. Agreed!

Bill and I are dining at one of the many creperies near our hotel in the 14th. Somehow Bill's vegetarian order transformed itself into a charcuterie extravaganza which even I couldn't eat. The waiter was very apologetic about the mix up. We ordered an especially tasty dry Breton cider.  All good.

Looking back, this summer in France stands out as one of surprises.  Wonderful unexpected experiences, new friendships, and increased self confidence. The latter grew from being the director and chief of our house in France, managing repairs, entertaining guests, adding to decor and comfort. Amazon.fr is my best friend.  On the road, I navigated an SUV. Way out of my comfort zone but without mishaps. Each week, I forced myself to take an out of comfort zone drive. Good for me I rationalized. Then there was swimming practice. The municipal pool felt like second home as my practice sessions grew more and more frequent during the heat wave, and my breast stroked progressed.

In a small village where so many people know each other, there is a diplomatic art to relationships. Often, I would hear two sides of the same story and just nod with interest.  People's problems become gossip,  embellished versions of the truth, or a source of conjecture.  Again, the sympathetic nod. It works for me.

The village boasts many octogenarians and nonagenarians. They eat well, live less stressful lives, and enjoy community and village activities.  Back home now, I am aching to hear Bonjour, an acknowledgement of simply being a person, see the twinkle in a French person's eyes, relish the enjoyment of conversation. The village mailman stops his truck in the middle of the street to give me the traditional French kiss on the cheeks greetings through the open yellow postal truck window. My visiting American family just stars. But c'est normal!

So it's a wrap or a crepe!  The  French summer memories will nurture me until next time. I worked hard to make my life in Monflanquin  soulful and  joyful.  Out of all my experiences,  I leave you with this personal challenge:  Follow your dreams!

Much love,
Giselle

1 comment: