Monday, March 27, 2017

Subbing in Middle School

Since my teaching load at Portland Community College is being reduced due to budget cuts,  I decided to take a subbing gig at a private middle school to earn  extra travel money. Hired to teach French to 6th and 7th graders for about a week, I researched classroom management techniques and consulted a friend who teaches middle school. Two key words stood out. Relationship and Distraction.  I talked a lot to the kids, shared personal anecdotes, and when they got off task, I distracted them until they got back on track. My xylophone succeeded in getting their attention many times.  It all felt like a fancy dance improvising the steps and hoping for the best. By the end of the week, I grew fond of these young students and admired their energy and enthusiasm. Maybe I will dance with them again some time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment