Friday, December 18, 2020

Latkes


As all holidays this year, Hanukkah felt  very different. Luckily as compensation, my latkes turned out unusually tasty for our crowd of two.  I offered three latkes with a side of apple sauce and sour cream to my neighbor. She offered me gingerbread.  Several people asked about the secret to well made latkes:  After grating the onion and potato, drain the mixture in a covered colander for 10 minutes.  Add the rest of the ingredients and fry.  I prefer the classic version of latkes and make them the same way every year.  They can be perceived as a lot of work. Some people don't enjoy the pervasive smell of latkes in the home for  days after. I find the smell comforting. When a rabbi I follow told us she prefers tater tots, I just  laughed. How many tater tots would equal a latke anyway?  Trader Joe's sells frozen latkes which are not bad.  But I will stick to my traditional home made latkes and hope that next year I can feed a crowd.

1 comment: