Sunday, December 27, 2020

"Maggy, carrot"


Being Jewish, I usually find the last two weeks of the year difficult.  I feel disconnected from almost everyone and everything. Christmas music while beautiful gets on my nerves. Most decorations do nothing for me. In short, I become a veritable scrooge. I remind myself that the holiday is cherished world wide and brings happiness and good cheer.. This year in particular, who doesn't need that? As I look back over the week, an unexpected gift did succeed in filling  me with joy. A  little stuffed dog toy in the form of a carrot.  
Bill walks Maggy to Starbucks every day then sits in the park with his coffee. Two sweet little girls Corin, age 3 and Emily age 1 often show up with their nanny/friend Lizzy.  Bill started to carry little baby carrot treats that the kids at the bus stop could give Maggy (pre-Covid) after she shook  paws. The little girls love this trick. They even get to "walk" Maggy  a bit., which makes them feel  grown up .  Corin says "Maggy, carrot" when she sees them. Emily whose mission is to pop carrot after carrot into Maggy's mouth says simply "more." We think this is Emily's only word.  Bill adores these little ones and  has adopted them as"grandchildren". 

Maggy loves her carrot so much that she hid it somewhere in the backyard along with her summer birthday present. Will we ever see it again???  It does not matter I suppose. This precious thoughtful gift symbolizes a special connection that Bill made this year.  And that means everything.








 


 

1 comment: