Monday, June 10, 2024

Beggars can't be choosers or can they?

 Of course, coming to France every year, I can't help but notice changes.  Both French men and women look more and more like us  with their hoodies, sweat pants,  jeans, jean jackets, tennis shoes, and baggy clothing.  When someone well dressed and fashionable walks by, I take note.  In Paris, across the street from the Gare du Nord train station,  I see Burger King, McDonald's, and even Popeyes.  As a result, the French  are looking  a lot bigger and rounder to me.  Sadly, the children are too.  An even more striking change is the number of street beggars. I am approached several times a day, sometimes aggressively, for money.

In Lille, my friend and I buy cheese and other goodies at the gorgeous  indoor market. We spread our lunch out on a picnic table. A young man comes by our table and asks us for money. We offer to share our lunch with him. He refuses "I just woke up and need money for breakfast, he says."  We look at each other in disbelief. How could he reject our beautiful cheese and our offer of food?  Off he goes. I watch as he asks person after person for money until my soul hurts.   One afternoon, I leave my hotel to get a few provisions, when a child  approximately age six or seven asks me for money. I see no parents in sight. This is the second time, I have experienced this in France. The first time, I did actually see the child's mother. I wanted to scream at her. How could you send a child to ask for money? But I did not. 

At the Lille train station, I get in line at a food stand to purchase a sandwich for the road. A young woman pushing a baby in a stroller approaches me. She tells me that she and the baby are very hungry.  I look over at the baby who looks chubby enough and is eating  three fries. His clothes are quite dirty.  The young mother then conveys to me exactly  what she would like: a croissant, a chausson  aux pommes (an apple turnover), and a coke.  Would I buy that for her ? Surprised, I agree because she requests food not money. While I wait for my change, she asks me if she could have that too.  We are talking 10 euros. To that, I say no. She asks two more times.  Finally, she accepts my refusal, thanks me and goes on her way.   My friend who lives just outside Paris met me for lunch today. I told her about these experiences. She related  her  own story of being approached for money while holding a bag of chocolate rolls from the  local bakery.  She offered  the guy  the entire bag. The man  became really angry and said he did not want the  bakery bag, he wanted money.  Is this a trend?  Beggars refusing help because it is not exactly what they want. I don't know what to make of it. I am just so tired of being asked for money on this trip. My friend told me she thinks my friendly open face invites begging, and that I need to look mean. Maybe I will try that technique tomorrow.

I am  truly sad to witness extensive begging. How did each individual beggar get to this difficult place in their lives? I  also realize my good  fortune to be able to buy trip souvenirs, eat at nice restaurants, stay at comfortable hotels, and buy a plane ticket to France.  Yesterday, I visited the massive Marche aux Puces which takes place on Sundays in Paris. I treated myself to some new pretty vintage clip on earrings pictured below. Maybe beggars  in 2024 should be thought of as individuals with specific needs to be met.  Food instead of money for some; money instead of food for others.  Let's ponder the question while expressing gratitude for all that we have.

My  deeply appreciated treasure  from the flea market.

1 comment: