Monday, September 26, 2022

Au Revoir

Wishing for a grand-daughter!



 Tomorrow I fly home. What a trip filled with magic, and so much kindness and caring not only from friends but from random strangers!  Vacation magic Melanie and I call it. As an example, I am sitting sipping coffee at a cafe on the square at Monflanquin. I am explaining to my friend Diana that I am considering going to Paris for Chanukah since Daniel will still be there. Diana does not seem to understand the word Chanukah. Okay, so it is not French. I repeat Chanukah five times rather loudly. Diana finally gets it. A few minutes later a woman approaches me. She says she wants to  wish me Shana Tovah,  Happy Jewish New Year which is actually this week. I look at her with bewilderment. She must have overheard me yelling Chanukah five times. It turns out this lovely woman is from Israel. We speak Hebrew a little bit. She wishes  me a new year filled with good  health and good energy. How did she come to to visit Monflanquin? The old fashion way. She read about it in a guide book. What are the chances?

In Paris, we experienced the good fortune of attending one of the city's oldest and exquisite orthodox Jewish synagogues.  The men sit downstairs and women above in the balcony. It is a rare privilege to visit a synagogue anywhere in France due to high security.  I did see one in an organized tour of the Marais, but this is my first time to attend services.   I stood the entire time because my view was totally blocked while sitting down. So different from the congregation where I belong at home.

Am I ready to go home?  Always a mixed bag of emotions. I feel so alive in France and fortunate to own a home in the gorgeous French countryside.  But my non vacation life resides in Portland where I enjoy fun and meaningful  activities.  Plus next month, I volunteered to help my sister babysit three of her grandchildren under three years of age while the parents go to Paris. The above picture features vibrant children's clothing from the French clothing line Jacardi!  Ok, universe. How about a bit more magic?

1 comment:

  1. I am glad that you got to attend the service, even though you could not sit.

    ReplyDelete