Monday, September 26, 2022

Love this town!

Saint- Cirq-la Popie
Daniel and I  took off for a day trip to Saint-Cirq-la-Popie.  It  definitely earns its reputation as one of the most beautiful villages in France. Perched high in the Dordogne, it is somewhat of a steep climb to get into the village. We gape at the amazingly big camping cars attempting to find parking.  I feel grateful my little car fits everywhere and handles so well in  tight turning situations. In the village, we explore all the charming nooks and crannies. We bumble into a lovely restaurant which fortunately offers an assiette vegetarienne for Daniel and exquisite lamb chops for me. I can't seem to resist lamp chops. When they are on the menu, they call to me, and I respond by ordering them. 

Our next stop is Peche-Merle which is the site of original cave paintings. If you are ever in the area, I recommend you stop here to take the guided tour. Who knows how much longer we will be allowed to visit this grotte.  The well known Lascaux cave can only be viewed in reproduction.

On the way home, I feel the need to eat lunch. Unfortunately it is past 2 P.M. , and all the restaurants are closed now until dinner time, 7:30 P.M. in France. We manage to find a bar serving sandwiches.  I order a chicken sandwich with lettuce. Did it also come with hard boiled eggs? Honestly, I don't remember. I do remember that it is the worst sandwich I have ever eaten in France.

Earlier in the day, we made an unplanned stop at the lively Cahors market. Golden apricot colored plums, figs, melon, and an abundance of  varied tapenade. The tapenade vendor enjoys giving out samples of each kind. We eagerly take each one and eat with gusto. Of course, we must buy at least one tapenade. I choose the classic which I use as a salad topping for the next few days. Heaven!

Fantastic views!

1 comment: