Friday, May 31, 2024

Dijon, France

The dog in the window of the vintage shop is not for sale

Bubble Coffee

New Shoes

 

A market masterpiece

Dijon Mustard

Yesterday we traveled about 12 hours to get from Figeac in southwestern France to Dijon in southeastern France. The French train system is designed to go most conveniently from north to south which meant our going from Agen to Bordeaux to Paris to Dijon. The most nerve racking part was changing train stations in Paris with a one hour train connection. Fortunately, when I stopped back at the house to repack for the next part of our trip, our friends and house renters handed me their unneeded Navigo cards. This saved us from lining up to buy metro tickets.  Our destination, Gare de Lyon which for some reason lacked signage would 
have thoroughly confounded us if not for an adorable French gentleman on our train who explained to us in detail the best way to get there.

When we actually collapsed into our train seats,  I declared a miracle. By the time we got to our hotel in Dijon, we were starving and exhausted.  We both felt grateful to find a brasserie on the corner. The fixed menu, the only option, sounded good. I soon realized the menu featured specialties from the southwest where Monflanquin is located. We traveled all those kilometers to dine on the cuisine we had just left. But what a meal! Homemade unctuous foie gras with onion confit followed by savory duck shepherd's pie, and for the finale, sweet refreshing strawberries with mint in a mouth watering strawberry sauce.  We spoke to the chef who graciously offered us red wine from Cahors.  The chef actually lives near us in Monflanquin and was working as a substitute that night.  We certainly felt at home while watching all the diners enjoy the cuisine from our French region like one big French family.

The next day, moving rather slowly, I agreed to meet my friend at the tourist office.  Despite a map, my infamous poor sense of direction kicked in. When I stopped to ask for directions from a lovely French woman, I did not expect her to offer to accompany me. On the way, we chatted. I learned that she worked as a bus driver in Dijon and Paris for over 20 years. I couldn't help but tell  her about Bill working for Trimet. 

Dijon is known for its gastronomy. We saw definitive proof of this in the massive covered  central market selling among its offerings a variety of farm fresh cheeses, meats, fish, poultry, fruits, vegetables, and the regional specialties of mustard and spice bread. The possibilities left us dazzled and hungry.

After lunch in a bistro close by, my friend and I went our separate ways. We do this regularly so we don't get sick of each other and get to experience one on one interaction with the French. With the weather so cold and rainy, I decided I needed to buy tights and some "sneakers" to add to my sandals and Mary Jane's.  The shoe store Eram advertised a 30% off shopping party. The rose colored shoes featured above fit me in size 36. With the money I saved, I purchased watering proofing spray and comfort insoles and celebrated with a French not so French Bubble Coffee. By the way,  what do you think of the shoes? 

We ended the day by going to a French movie entitled "N'avoue jamais. (Never confess)  For  a movie snack, my friend opted for popcorn. Much to her surprise, it tasted sweet and looked like cracker jacks. The Magnum ice cream bar, classic vanilla covered in smooth dark chocolate called out loudly to me. So satisfying, as was the senior discount saving me 2 euros. Amazingly, the movie featured a super cute beagle who played an important role like a pro.  I am certain this is Maggy's French cousin.

It seems like I have been saying "What are the chances ? "since arriving in Dijon. A southwestern menu, a bus driver, and a beagle??  I am truly loving Dijon.



1 comment: