Sunday, May 26, 2024

Road Trip

 We took my little car and headed for Figeac, located in the Aveyron about two hours from Monflanquin.  Our mission: to learn about the cheeses in the area and taste as many as possible.  Look, somebody has to do this.

The idea for this trip came to me after finding a delightful  brochure about AOP cheeses in my filing cabinet. Sometimes it does pay to do some paper purging. AOP stands for Appelation Origine Protégée, a label meaning in this case that the cheese comes from the local area and certified as authentic to the region. In the Aveyron, the four major AOP cheeses are: Roquefort, Rocamadour, Laguiole, and Bleu des causses. If you read French and would like a brochure about AOP cheeses throughout France, please let me know. I requested a bunch for students and generously received quite a few and a bonus poster.

Besides the deliciousness of cheese tasting, we are enjoying the lush beauty of the region.  See pictures below. 








1 comment: