Monday, June 4, 2018

Mystery on Air Canada

June 4, 2018                     The Weary Traveler
An uneventful flight to Paris from Toronto changed course when I innocently got up  to use the lavatory. A young woman looking distraught was hovering  inside with the door  ajar. She told me she  was looking for her watch which she had taken off to wash her hands and then placed on the counter. She  just got back to her seat when she realized she had left the watch in the w.c. But before she could retrieve it, a  serving cart blocked her path. She watched another passenger go into the w.c.  Then  as soon as she could, she returned quickly to retrieve her watch. It was gone!  As she told me this story, she was close to tears. The watch was the only thing she had  left of her father's. She pointed out the man who  went in after her.
Although, she had already asked him about the watch, I encouraged her to ask again. He clearly denied taking the watch. I tried to speak to him in French, but he spoke good accented English. His seat mates or were they family implied we should not accuse without proof. Were we accusing? I felt so bad for this young woman. She reminded me of my nieces. Later she told me she had gone into the wc to pray. I offered to help her look. Nothing. My " finding everything Bill loses skills "were not working.  She reported the loss to the flight attendant. An announcement of the lost watch was made right before we landed. So what do you think? Did the guy take it?

No comments:

Post a Comment