Saturday, June 9, 2018

The Happy Buzz

How's this for coffee shop decor in a building called the Docks, Quai Austerlitz?

Today started off in a jet lag fog. Although I planned my metro trip last night, I confused lines to end up taking a much longer route. For the first time ever, I experienced Paris metro rush hour. Doors opened; doors closed. I chose to wait. Even still,I was squeezed like a sardine as I finally rode to my unfamiliar destination, Quai d'Austerlitz and the City of Design and Mode Building where the Expat Forum is held annually.
The Expat Forum features organizations helping the French find work  or retire abroad. It sounded interesting. The Australian representative clearly summed up the key to getting hired abroad. The VISA. No surprise there. He left  me  with some interesting web sites to check out.  It would be fun to teach abroad for a few months. The Expat Forum seemed organized in an American way: Flyers, free candy, pens, and helpful representatives. Each half hour a new topic was presented. I found myself within ear shot of the working in America talk. The presenter could not emphasize enough how hard it is to get work in our country. Basically, she said America is closed.  So true.
Next stop the 11th arrondissement, gentrified and punctuated with fine restaurants serving farm fresh food.  I randomly chose a restaurant that looked good. Apparently, everyone else in the neighborhood thought so. No tables left. My next pick, Chez Lui,  was happy to seat me. I ordered the Menu: soft boiled egg on a bed of squid ink (amazing) and lamb chops with grilled broccoli and gremolata. Heavenly! Soon the host started turning people away as well. I felt fortunate to get a table and hung onto it as long as I could before meeting my friend Kristen at the Atelier des Lumieres, a renovated warehouse, now exhibiting a stunning sound and light show  representing famous paintings virtually like the Klimt below.  A must not miss for those traveling to Paris in the next few months.   Upon returning to my hotel, I realized a Happy Buzz  followed me everywhere today. People laughing and talking in  cafe after cafe. The clinking of knives and forks tapping rhythmically on plates.  Paris sings!


  1. Today's Highlights

  1. Quai d'Austerlitz
  2. Chez Lui   
  3. Atelier des Lumieres
  4. Julhes - upscale wine and cheese shop

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a rewarding day in many ways!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will have to put some new things on our "must do" list.

    ReplyDelete