Saturday, July 6, 2019

Open the Window

I get to see this lovely tiled roof from my bedroom every morning. Beyond it lies the valley so green and lush. It looks like  a still life painting.  July marks the beginning of the tourist season here. Folks from Scotland, Holland, Germany, England, and Australia enjoy the Thursday evening gastronomic market. Long tables are laid out in the square. As the evening goes on, the music comes to life and people get up to dance.  We are an international harmonious group.  Yet  at times, I do hear stereotyping among the villagers, and I know they are aware that they are categorizing people.  Why do people do  this labeling so instinctively? Is it a form of self- protection?  Do they find it amusing?  Is it just an easy way of understanding cultural differences?   What do people here think of Americans?  Not too many of us in Monflanquin. They follow the antics of our president but do not necessarily associate us individually with him.  I like to think of myself as an American diplomat in the village.  I don't want to offend anyone, and I want  such grace offered to me.  It is more interesting to understand people and offer them compassion no matter where they are from.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, stereotyping is rarely helpful. Maybe it helps people to feel like they belong somewhere if they can put everyone else in boxes.

    ReplyDelete