Tuesday, July 23, 2019

The Vase That Got Away


At the antiques fair this weekend, I spotted a pretty oriental vase which I thought would look good in the living room.  An identical vase in green was also for sale.  Undecided about the purchases,  I went to the pool to mull it over.  Suddenly, it occurred to me that both vases would look really nice together. That was it. I had to have them both. After lunch, I went back to the antique's fair. I told myself the vases might be gone and under no circumstances was I to  get upset.  One vase did indeed sell.  The one above remained. Despite my vow, I immediately felt my mood tank.  The vendor told me someone had come along immediately after me and bought the green one.  What to do? I bought the red one. Went home and did an extensive search online for a comparable green vase. Nothing. Hours later, I wondered about my obsession with the vases. Did I mourn the loss of something I wanted? Was I kicking myself for my indecisiveness? Was it just not meant to be? Why did I struggle so hard to accept that the other vase was gone? Was some ulterior symbolism at play here. After all, I am a twin.  I am still at a loss to explain my strong reaction.  Any ideas?

1 comment:

  1. It always seems that the one that got away is the one we obsess about.

    ReplyDelete