Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Immigration, Cancellation, Exploration

At the Chinatown Museum
This photo was taken back in December at the Chinatown Museum, 127 NW 3rd Ave, Portland. Daniel and I learned so much about the history of Chinese immigrants to  Portland thanks to docent Bertha Lee Saiget. Bertha herself was raised on the outskirts of Chinatown  by parents who were new immigrants from China.  Bertha's own family is displayed prominently in many of the photographs on the museum's walls. Now that my volunteer job at Travel Portland is kaput due to the closing of the center, maybe I could volunteer at the Chinatown Museum when things return to normal.

This morning, Delta canceled my flight to Paris on June 6. I felt both relieved and worried. Relieved because June 6 seems too early to return. Worried because when is a safe time to go back ? When will tourist attractions and markets  re- open? Obviously, nobody knows so it is play the wait and see game, a game I dislike and am not sure to win.  Daniel is supposed to meet me in France at the end of June. Looks like that won't happen either as Hong Kong currently puts everyone returning from abroad in quarantine.

Quick! I need a silver lining. I get to experience summer in Portland. Can't remember the last time that happened. Tomorrow I will give you an update on our vegetable garden.
Be well, everyone!


1 comment:

  1. My silver lining for your predicament is that I will see more of you this summer.

    ReplyDelete